~ Trevor ~
Medical costs to date: $1,742.41
A Broken Heart
July 10, 2009
Trevor lost his battle with heart disease today. And he did it in his own way, not the way it had been planned for the past two years by his cardiologists and veterinarians. Instead of us having to make the final decision for Trevor, he made it for us. Last night, he suffered a stroke, and after a strong comeback without any medical intervention, Trevor began to have seizures which caused his heart to fail. Our vet tried for over 20 minutes to bring him back, but it wasn't meant to be.
Trevor has been in our care for over 2 years, enjoying the life he had. He couldn't run and play much at all, because it was too tiring for him, but sitting on the sofa with his foster mom and dad, and his Westie pal was just fine with him. He was happy. He was home. And he most assuredly was loved.
Because surgery was not an option for Trevor, we took other avenues to make him comfortable and to extend his life. At the urging of his team of Cardiologists at Texas A&M University, Trevor had his volume of blood reduced every 6 - 10 weeks. This reduced the workload on his heart, and made him feel better. At times, this blood was then used to save the life of other dogs that were in need of an emergency transfusion. Trevor liked the idea of helping others. It's what his life was all about.
In one final act of kindness, Trevor's heart is being donated to Texas A&M University, so they can study the multiple defects it had, and perhaps change the life of another dog in the future. It is rare for so many defects to find their way into one heart.
So as we say goodbye to Trevor, and watch as he travels to the Rainbow Bridge, we all applaud this young man's bravery in so many ways. No matter how many times he had to be poked and prodded, no matter how long he had to sit perfectly still while large needles were placed in his veins, Trevor was the consummate patient. Never complaining, yet always thanking, he showed all of his doctors what bravery is all about.
Trevor will be privately cremated and his ashes returned to Scottie Kingdom Rescue to join the others that have gone to the Rainbow Bridge before him.
Thank you Trevor. Thank you for letting us help you. And thank you for all you have done for others.
Because Trevor has continuing medical needs, along with the costs involved with his fostering care, we are seeking ongoing donations to help with these costs. To date, we have expended over $1,500.00 for Trevor's medical care. Please consider donating to help Trevor enjoy his final days in comfort.
Please donate today.
On Tuesday, March 20th, Trevor was transported to Texas A&M University Small Animal Clinic for additional testing on his heart. The results of these tests are devastating. Trevor has been diagnosed with:
Ventricular Septal Defect
Patent Ductus Arteriosis
Mitral Valve Dysplasia
Because of the severity of the problems with Trevor's heart, he does not have a surgical option to correct any of these defects.
While there are steps already being taken to allow more oxygenation of his blood, Trevor's condition is very grave. He is currently being watched on an ongoing basis and allowed multiple outdoor visits and playtime. He is not in any kind of pain or distress. At some point, Trevor will go into cardiac and/or respiratory failure.
Although we are all very upset with the news that Trevor cannot be helped, we are thankful that Trevor was given a chance to have surgery. This is more than he's ever had in the past. We thank all of those that have donated to Trevor's Care, which allowed him the opportunity for the testing he so badly needed. Trevor is now in our Hospice Care Program.
Trevor has recently been diagnosed with Cyanosis (inadequate oxygenation of the blood) and a heart murmur. Further testing has resulted in a preliminary finding of Pulmonic Stenosis (Narrowing of the right ventricle outflow tract) and drastic enlargement of the heart muscle. Trevor is being transported to Texas A&M University Small Animal Clinic, College Station, Texas, on Tuesday - March 20th, for a Doppler Study. The results of this test will determine whether or not Trevor is a candidate for heart surgery. If he is, the surgery has a very good success rate, which will allow Trevor to have a normal life span! Please help us with Trevor's needs. Currently, we are needing to raise $500.00 for Trevor's Doppler Echocardiography. If he is a candidate for heart surgery, we will quickly need to raise an additional $2,300.00.
We were contacted by
a shelter to rescue Trevor on his last day. They knew what a great young
man he is and wanted him to have a 2nd chance.